About Horatio the Nautilus Knitting Pattern
Important note: Horatio is for decorative purposes only. This item is not a toy, and the design does not meet any safety standards for toys. The kit and pattern are sold on an “as is” basis, therefore the risk of the quality and performance of the design is with the buyer.
Skill Level: Advanced.
Skills Needed: Intermediate knitting skills, plus increases (m1, kfb) decreases (ssk, k2tog, p2tog, p2togtbl), wrap and turn short rows, twin-wrap short rows / shadow wrap short rows, i-cord.
Finished Size: Main body 16 in. / 40 cm long (including tentacles), 9 in. / 23 cm tall, 5 in. / 13 cm wide.
Yarn: Infinite Twist Helix, 276 g / 825 y total. As shown, project uses 400 y in Badlands, 225 y in Shreveport, and 200 y in Red Devil. Yarn is held double throughout the project, in four color combinations.
- Shell, Main Color (MC): Helix, held double in Badlands, 125 g / 400 y total.
- Shell, Stripes (CC): Helix, held double in Shreveport, 40 g / 135 y total.
- Tentacles (CC2): Helix, held double, one strand Red Devil, one strand Shreveport, 30 g/ 90 y each, 60 g / 180 y total.
- Hood (CC3): Helix held double, Red Devil, 35 g / 110 y total
- U.S. size 6 / 4.0 mm double pointed needles,
- U.S. size 4 / 3.5 mm double pointed needles,
- U.S. size 6 / 4.0 mm 32 in. / 80 cm circular needle.
- Shell: 15 sts /32 rows over 4 in. / 10 cm in garter stitch
- Hood: 18 sts / 32 rows over 4 in. / 10 cm in stockinette stitch
- Tentacles: 24 rows over 4 in. / 10 cm in i-cord.
Your gauge should be slightly tighter than normal for a knitted garment, but not so tight that it’s difficult to knit. Slightly denser-than-normal gauge and holding yarn double help create a dense fabric that prevents the stuffing from showing through on your finished creature.
- 14 oz / 400 grams wool stuffing or 7 oz / 200 grams polyfill
- Two (2) 24 mm cat pupil plastic safety eyes
- Locking stitch markers in two colors
- Yarn needle
- Sewing pins
Your support makes these patterns possible
About Infinite Twist Knitting Patterns
Thanks for stopping by! As a full-time yarn dyer, I create and commission knitting patterns to support sales of my hand-dyed gradient and semi-solid yarns.
Please consider signing up for my free knitting newsletter. Subscribers get a new free pattern every month, plus first crack at one-of-a-kind colorways.
Your support allows me to continue to publish patterns and dye incredibly colorful yarn. Thanks!